Irom Sharmila Height, Irom Sharmila Weight, Irom Sharmila Age, Irom Sharmila Husband, Irom Sharmila Wiki More Info
|Real Name||Irom Chanu Sharmila|
|Nickname||Iron Lady of Manipur, Mengoubi (meaning: the fair one)|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Date of Birth||14 March 1972|
|Age (as in 2016)||44 Years|
|Birth Place||Kongpal, Imphal, Manipur, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Pisces|
|Hometown||Imphal, Manipur, India|
|Educational Qualifications||12th Standard|
|Family||Father– Not Known (used to work as Grade IV worker in a veterinary hospital in Imphal)|
Mother– Irom Shakhi
Siblings– Singhajit (elder brother) and 7 others
|Girls, Affairs and More|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Irom Sharmila
- Her ongoing 16 years hunger strike began on 2 November, 2000, her strike is against Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA).
- Her strike began after “Malom Massacre” on 2 November, 2o00, ten people were shot at the bus stand by Indian Army unit operating in the state.
- She is being fed via nose for last 16 years to keep her alive.
- She is said to be “world’s longest hunger striker”.
- She was voted the “top woman icon of India by MSN Poll” on International Women’s Day of year 2014.
- She was approached by several political parties to stand in the national elections but she denied their offers.
- She has been arrested many times under the charges of “attempt to suicide”.
- In 2011, Save Sharmila Solidarity Campaign (SSSC) was launched.
- Her elder brother, Singhajit left his job to take care of her sister, Sharmila.
- She has met her mother only once since she started her fast as she feels meeting her mother might effect her resolution to fast, She said “The day AFSPA is repealed I will eat rice from my mother’s hand.”
- She has been awarded with many prestigious human rights awards.
- Author Deepti Priya Mehrotra, wrote a book on Sharmila’s life- Burning Bright: Irom Sharmila and the Struggle for Peace in Manipur.
- After reading the book written on the struggle of Sharmila’s life, Desmond Coutinho, a British origin Indian man felt in love with Sharmila and wrote letters to her. Sharmila confessed that she is in love with Desmond Coutinho and they are planning to get married after the end of her fast.
- She considers Mahatma Gandhi as her idol.